Ok, so if you’re on a strict diet/trying to nutritionally behave on this lovely Cinco de Mayo holiday. . .I apologize in advance. But I’m really not sorry; because this is the best queso you’ll ever have in your life. You’ll never need another recipe. I promise.
There’s no Velveeta cheese bs in this queso, my friends. This is the real deal. The one queso that will change your party menus forever. Honestly, it’s so good, I’d eat it as a soup. But that wouldn’t be very FiC-like; so we’re just going to pretend I didn’t say that.
I made this dip back in February for a Super Bowl Party, and EVERYBODY loved it.
It’s just the perfect combination of sausage, beans, melty cheese, and spice. And what better occasion than Cinco de Mayo to completely blow your friends out of the water with your queso skills? Yea, there’s not one. So, MAKE THIS IMMEDIATELY. <3
Fit is Chic's Queso
- 1 lb. spicy sausage
- 1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (I used Kylito’s.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I suggest buying a block of cheese, and then grating it yourself. It’s SO much better!)
- green onions, to taste
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage until crumbly. Drain off excess oil, and then add in the taco seasoning, cayenne, beans, salsa, and water. (Water is optional. If you want your dip a little thicker, just omit the water.) It should look like a very thick chili.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour, and stir to form a paste. Slowly stream the milk in a little at a time, whisking between each addition. The sauce should continue to gradually thicken — simmer until the sauce is thick enough to stick to the back of the spoon. Stir in the cheese until melted, and then add the cheese sauce to the chili from step one. Mix until well combined; and then add your green onions, to taste.
- You can transfer this to a Crockpot like I did. Or if you’re serving right away, you can just keep it warm on the stove.
* When this dip is super hot, it’s pretty thin. But if you keep it warm, the consistency is perfect.
* Fiesta Taco Seasoning is THE BEST!
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.
Happy Cinco de Mayo, amigos!
What’s your favorite queso recipe?