After reading a ridiculous amount of blogs, and pinning about 50 tips on this oil pulling phenomenon over the past couple of years, I finalllyyyy decided to give it a try. I’ll admit, most of the blogs from which I was getting my oil pulling info were on the verge of weird, so I was skeptical. It wasn’t until I came across this blog that I was like okay, normal people do this? I guess I’ll try it…
There are all sorts of oil appropriate for oil pulling, but I used Coconut Oil. I’m pretty sure it’s the only oil I could keep in my mouth for 20 minutes without gagging. But honestly, it’s really not that bad. I was expecting much worse. I should’ve recorded my face the first time I tried it. It probably looked as if I was shoveling bugs in my mouth…seriously, I was a tad terrified. But to my surprise, it was quite relaxing.
I think most people are terrified of putting a full tablespoon of a mysterious substance into their mouth, but it’s not that bad. And if you need to start out with a smaller amount at first, that’s totally ok. On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the worst) my gag reflexes are about a 6, and I handled one full tablespoon just fine.
Unrefined Coconut Oil is best for oil pulling, but using refined will still work. The amount of Lauric Acid is the difference between the two; and Lauric Acid is what aids in the pulling.
So if you’re reading this, and you’ve never heard of oil pulling before, here are a few quick facts:
– It’s an age-old remedy using natural substances to clean and detoxify teeth and gums.
– Some evidence has shown it is beneficial in improving gums and removing harmful bacteria.
– Users have claimed it’s helped with severe cases of TMJ.
– It can reduce the appearance of skin rashes and other blemishes.
– Halitosis sufferers can greatly benefit from oil pulling.
There are A LOT of other benefits floating around on the internet, but the ones I’ve mentioned are the most prevalent.
You can even see what some Fit is Chic readers have experienced from oil pulling here.
Even if you decide oil pulling isn’t for you, the benefits of using coconut oil elsewhere are endless. My boyfriend’s mom even puts it in her coffee. Yum!
If you decide you want to give oil pulling a try, here’s my step-by-step guide…
Step-by-Step Guide to Oil Pulling:
1. Fill a full tablespoon with Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil.
2. Put the full amount of oil in your mouth.
3. Set a timer for 20 minutes.
4. Let the oil melt in your mouth, and then begin to swish. Make sure the oil gets all over your mouth, but be careful not to swallow any of the oil. (The oil will feel like water once it melts.)
5. Swish oil through your teeth as if you’re using mouthwash.
6. Once the timer has gone off, spit the oil out into your trashcan. Do not spit down any drains, as the oil will harden back up and clog your pipes.
7. Rinse mouth out with warm salt water, and then brush your teeth as normal.
**Side notes: Oil pulling is supposed to be done on an empty stomach, before drinking any fluids or consuming any food. I do it very first thing in the morning. You can set your timer for 15-20 minutes (20 being ideal), but no longer than 20 minutes. Oil pulling can be practiced up to three times a day; I do it twice.
So here’s what you’ve all been wondering since you clicked on this blog post….
Today marks the fifth day of my oil-pulling experiment, and so far it’s working! My teeth are whiter and super shiny. I love the way my mouth feels afterwards; it’s almost as good as getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist…but not quite. My skin is glowing, even though this particular week my face is usually a hot mess, if you catch my drift. So, that’s AWESOME. And I’m not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but my annoying cough I couldn’t get rid of finally subsided on Saturday. Woo hooooo!
I’ll be completely honest with you, the only reason I tried this was for the cosmetic reasons. But, I will keep you all informed on any other benefits I experience along the way. I can’t wait to hear about everyone else’s oil pulling experiences/experiments. Don’t forget to let me know how it goes! Xo